Wednesday, May 02, 2007

El Libre Pollo Loco


Yesterday evening, after finishing up a few things at the office, I decided to stop by the ever-so-delicious El Pollo Loco. I pulled up to the drive through and ordered a spicy chicken casadilla BRC burrito and a lemonade, I was excited. I hadn't eaten since noon-thirty and by now it was almost 10:30pm. While in line, I noticed that things were moving rather slow. Were these workers taking their sweet time? Was there someone new being trained? I didn't know and I didn't care, all I wanted was to be eating my dinner while driving home.

Time passed on slowly but finally i was at the window. My new friend Carlos greeted me and read me my total. I handed him my debt card and watched him repeatedly swipe my card through his machine. I knew there was a problem when, who seemed to be the supervisor, Angela walked over to the register. By now he had closed the drive-through window and they were discussing the problem. He poped his head out of the window and asked me if I had any cash. I told him no and he closed the window. A rush of thoughts were buzzing through my mind...Is there enough money in my account? I know there is. Is my card demagnetized? I hope not. Finally, with a defeated look, he opens the window and hands my card back to me. Angela then pops her head out and hands me my food. "I'm sorry but our machine's no working now."

Success! The time in line has paid off and I am getting a free meal. Then I decided to say something that I have never said before, "I will bring you the cash tomorrow." She looked at me like I was crazy, "Excuse me?" she said. Either she truly didn't understand me or she was taken back by my proposal. I said again, "I will bring you the $8 tomorrow." She agreed and I drove off.

Now, after I left, I thought to myself; they probably don't really think I will bring the money back. They wont even remember me tomorrow... Well it's tomorrow and I have the $8 in hand ready to bring it down to the Crazy Chicken. I am going to give them that money, they don't need it, but I said I was going to do it and I am!

You may disagree with me or think that I am a fool. You might be right but I am a man of my word and I said I would bring it back to Angela and to Angela my $8 will go. :-)

God IS love. -Rev. Run

-RC

3 comments:

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

RANDY!!!!
1. I am proud of you.
2. I like visiting your post but I can only listen to Will and Pearl so many times.
3. You just went up 10 points in my book for quoting Rev Run! He's MY FAVORITE!!!
4. I once drove through a El Pollo Loco while there was a kitchen fire and the person at the window calmly took my money and gave me my slightly overcooked burrito.

Anonymous said...

Very cool story.

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you.
-Henry Martin