Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Dear Michael...

Lets see here, where do I begin. Yesterday Megan and I went over to my mother-in-law's house to pick up what i thought were souvenirs from her recent trip to Daytona Beach. Megan painted the picture that she probably brought me a hat and Megan a key chain from the beautiful "Sunshine State". Little did I know that this was all a setup to what would ultimately be one of the sweetest gifts i have ever received.

When people ask, "If you could meet one famous person, who would it be?" My response is always Michael Jordan. While there are so many amazing people in history, he is one person that i have grown up watching and admiring for his basketball prowess. Therefore I would choose him.

Since I was a little lad I have always been a fan of basketball, I have played it since before my head had grown into my ears. And ever since I could remember my all-time basketball hero was Michael Jordan. I remember getting my first pair of "Air Jordans" in third grade. This would follow by many more years of spending a lot of money on basketball shoes so that hopefully i could "Be like Mike". Unfortunately my lack of athletic ability and lack of height hindered my Basketball Stardom from propelling me from high school to Division 1 basketball, to the NBA. However, my love for watching MJ never ceased. I remember a few of my good friends Dan and Chris and myself, would record the NBA championships when the Bulls would be playing and then replay the great moments of the games as we would prepare for our games. And thanks to some of their relatives in Chicago, when the Bulls would win the Championship, the front page of the Chicago Tribue would come to California. And this along with the sports section from the local LA Times and Orange County Register, I would save any and every article in relation to the Bulls and MJ.

As sad as this may be, hearing the bulls introduction and starting line up would give me chills and still to this day does... especially hearing the "From North Carolina, at Guard, 6'6", Michael Jordan" would get me so pumped that i would literally get chills. See video..


All that to say, last night, when i went over to my in-laws house last night, to my surprise a hat was not awaiting my arrival. It was Michael Jordan!... ok maybe not, however, I did receive a SWEET birthday present! An autographed ticket from the Daytona 200 that is signed "To Randy Happy Birthday Michael Jordan"!!!!!!

Jordan being the thrill seeker he is, is involved in bike racing and is good friends with a racer Jason Britton, who happens to be friends with my mother-in-law. All that to say Brenda pulled some strings and through some huge favors was able to get Mike to sign his ticket for me.

Anyway, This made my day and for the rest of the night I had a huge smile on my face and I am so stoked to have this!!!

So thank you to Brenda and to Michael! you both rock!






And that is a glimpse to my somewhat pathetic life :-)

RC

3 comments:

Ange said...

okay, I have to say, that is so cool! Happy bday crafty!

David Hughes said...

this is super sweet :)

happy birthday...

Julie Hibbard said...

Michael Jordan walked past my desk a couple of years ago and said, "Good Morning..."
He was absolutely beautiful! Kind, soft, sweet and charming!
And, the SUIT!! That suit was the most FABULOUS thing I have ever seen!
I watched him sign autographs for two boys who followed him into the bathroom!
He's a good guy...
and someone you can't help but look up to!